Saturday, May 5, 2007

What I've Learned in 40 Years

Sue wrote this for her 40th Birthday and shared it with friends. Pastor Barb read it at her Memorial Service. Tom wanted to post it here so this wonderful bit if Sue's wisdom can be shared.
What I've Learned in 40 Years

I’ve learned to cherish my friends daily, because changing times and locations may draw us apart at ant time….I now know that this a natural part of life and that letting go is as important as holding on.

I’ve learned that I don’t have to be liked by everyone, nor should I allow my actions to be motivated by such a goal.

I’ve learned that it’s up to me to accept myself, and only then can I accept others.

I’ve learned that family responsibilities and things beyond my control sometimes prevent me from doing “my best” but that’s OK.

I’ve learned that things are terminal, but souls are not.

I’ve learned to let go of a lot of things….friendships, broken dishes, lost jackets, babies, loved ones, my youth….and to celebrate God’s provision of others to heal me and fill the void.

I’ve learned that peace comes in quiet times and that it’s up to me to claim daily quiet time so that I can be a better person, for myself and for others.

I’ve learned that life is an incredible adventure if I am aware of daily surprises.

And finally I’ve learned that attitude is everything, so today I turn 39 and 365 days…. And my gains far exceed my losses.

1 comment:

pmPilgrim said...
This comment has been removed by the author.